Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tate Modern

Let me just be blunt, I am not interested in history, I'd rather be on Oxford Street spending my money. After being required (and feeling guilty for not liking history) I decided to go to Tate Modern and I am happy to say my opinions have changed somewhat on museums. This museum wasn't like the others. In my opinion, it had more excitement to it. The museum was created in 2000 in its current location.The art pieces in this particular Tate museum starting from the 1900s to present. Tate Modern had pieces ranging from sculptures to photographs and everything in between. The great thing about this museum is that you actually recognize some of the artists. They have pieces from artists Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol which was nice to see some people you can say, 'Oh yeah I have heard of them'. After strolling through the galleries in awe over the exquisite sites I found one piece that really caught my eye. It was from Mitch Epstein's series of American Power. In his series of photos he showed the different meanings of American Power, originally he intended the photos to be dealing with coal-fired power plants, but in the end it turned out to be about how 'to convey how Americans live, what Americans want and what it costs to get'. As I looked at the photos more carefully I noticed one of the pictures from Hurricane Katrina.
While I do love London it was nice to see a piece of home hanging on the wall in this famous museum that millions of people see daily. It made a picture we saw so many times on TV come to life. If anything else this one picture made my trip to Tate Modern worthwhile. I definitely recommend to anyone not very interested in history to visit the Tate Modern.

By: Amber Rutland

No comments:

Post a Comment