Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Somerset House

By Arlicia McGhee

Today, I went to the Somerset House, which is a major arts and cultural centre in the heart of London and viewed the Courtauld Gallery.  This gallery is considered one of thefinest small museums in the world.Actually, I thought it reminded me of a mini Louvre in which the rooms are engorged with paintings on every wall.  Interestingly, some of the paintings shown at the gallery are on lent from the Louvre.  This exhibit consisted of Impressionists paintings by artists such as Van Gog and Cezanne.   There was also other pieces of art like sculptures and a showing of silver used for hot drinks and about the houseduring 1710 to 1751.  The collection extended from the Renaissance to the 20th century. My favorite piece was Adam and Eve.  In this painting Adam is shown before the Tree of Knowledge and scratching his head in indecision to whether he should accept the apple from Eve or obey God and refuse the forbidden fruit.   Although all the art was breathtaking, I think most people were drawn to the exhibit: Toulouse-Lautrec and Jane Avril: Beyond the Moulin Rouge.  I really enjoyed this collection because I was able to look at the interpretation of women performers during this period.  Also, it was very informative I learned much about the relationship between Avril and Toulouse.  After viewing the paintings, I would like to rent the movie when I return home, never having seen it before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment